Sweet Potato and Chickpea Hummus
This delicious dip is a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables. The combination of sweet potato and chickpeas, along with lemon and tahini make it a standout at snack time.
Adding nutritious and tasty sweet potato puts a bright”
twist on traditional hummus.
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, about 1 lb., peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sweet or smoked paprika (optional)
- Pita chips and fresh veggies, to serve
Set a steamer basket in a medium pan. Add enough water to come just to the bottom of the basket, then add sweet potato. Cover pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, about 10–15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
Add remaining ingredients, except pita and veggies, and puree until smooth, thinning with water a teaspoon at a time if necessary. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Let cool, then transfer to a covered container and refrigerate if not using right away.
Serve with pita chips and fresh veggies.