S'mores are such an easy dessert to make, and kids of all ages are drawn to them. In this version, I actually soften the chocolate bars a bit in the microwave first so they melt well when the toasty marshmallows are added.
Ingredients for s'mores:
- 12 whole graham crackers
- White icing (recipe below)
- 24 large marshmallows
- 6 chocolate bars, slightly softened in the microwave
Ingredients for white icing:
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tb. corn syrup
- 2-4 Tb. water
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
Preparation for s'mores:
- Decorate 6 whole graham crackers with symbols or words of your choosing with the icing by using toothpicks or a piping bag fitted with a small tip. Allow the icing to harden a bit.
- Prepare a fire or cooktop for roasting the marshmallows. Meanwhile, soften the chocolate bars slightly in the microwave, about 15-20 seconds. For a more spreadable chocolate, melt the bars at 30-second intervals, stirring until the chocolate is smooth.
- Spear the marshmallows on metal skewers, and gently toast them over your cooktop. (This is a great job for grown-ups, or should at least be closely supervised by an adult.) Place the chocolate on the 6 crackers that were left undecorated, top with two marshmallows each, followed by the decorated graham crackers.
Preparation for icing:
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, 2 Tb. water and lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk to combine, thinning with the additional 2 tablespoons of water if needed.