Ingredients for everything butter:
- 5½ tablespoons / 27.5 grams nonfat milk powder
- 3¾ tablespoons / 30 grams sesame seeds
- 2½ tablespoons / 24 grams dried minced onions
- 2 tablespoons / 14 grams poppy seeds
- 4½ teaspoons / 10 grams garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon / 2 grams caraway seeds
- 1 pound / 454 grams unsalted butter, sliced
Ingredients for potatoes:
- 5 pounds / 2.26 kilograms russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2½ quarts / 2.25 kilograms cold water
- 1 cup / 240 grams heavy cream
- 8 ounces / 227 grams cream cheese, diced
- 1¾ teaspoons / 10.5 grams fine sea salt
Make the Everything Butter:
Put the nonfat milk powder, sesame seeds, dried onions, poppy seeds, garlic powder, and caraway seeds in a medium sauté pan set over medium heat. Toast, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture becomes aromatic. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Put the butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and add the spice blend. Turn the mixer on low speed and gradually increase the speed to medium. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth. Transfer to a covered container and reserve at room temperature.
Make the Potatoes:
Put the potatoes and water in a large pot set over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, adjust the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the cream, cream cheese, and salt in a medium pot set over low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Once the potatoes are done, remove from the heat. Remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and add it to the pot of cream. Drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot. Set over low heat to dry any surface moisture.
Put the Everything Butter in a 6-quart saucepot and set a food mill over the top. Rice the potatoes into the pot and use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to stir them into the butter. Set the pot over low heat and pour the warm cream into the potatoes. Stir until smooth. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.