Authentic French Meringues
A few meringues beautifully presented on the table adds texture and color to the party table.
- Butter and flour for prepping
- Electric mixer
- Pastry bag with a round or star tip
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees F. Butter and flour a baking sheet.
- In a glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy using an electric mixer. Sprinkle in sugar a little at a time, while continuing to whip at medium speed. When the mixture becomes stiff and shiny like satin, stop mixing, and transfer the mixture to a large pastry bag. Pipe the meringue out onto the prepared baking sheet using a large round tip or star tip.
- Place the meringues in the oven, and place a wooden spoon handle in the door to keep it from closing all the way. Bake for 3 hours, or until the meringues are dry and can easily be removed from the pan. Allow cookies to cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature.