How to Frost an Ombré Cake
A homemade cake looks better than ever with this easy tutorial for ombré frosting! Add our printable cake topper elephant to complete the look.
Tools & Materials:
- Buttercream frosting or packaged frosting
- Unfrosted cake (taller cakes work better for an ombré look)
- Food coloring (your choice of color)
- Offset spatula
- Prepare your frosting and divide it evenly into three bowls.
- Use food coloring to make one of the bowls of frosting your darkest shade. Then, in another bowl, make a medium shade. Leave the frosting in the last bowl white.
- For best results, use a chilled or frozen cake. This will help avoid excess crumbs from getting mixed into your frosting.
- Begin using your white frosting to make a crumb coat, which is a thin coat of frosting that helps seal in the crumbs so they don't come loose as you frost your cake. A thin layer is fine, and it doesn't have to be perfectly covered.
- Using your offset spatula, apply the darkest color shade to the bottom of your cake. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.
- Repeat using the middle shade of color to the middle part of the cake.
- Finish off the top of the cake using your white frosting. Use your offset spatula to gently smooth between the shades of frosting.