Custom Potato Stamps
Let kids put their own unique stamp on Valentine's Day decorations and cards with this inventive craft. Using just a few simple materials, this simple craft engages kids of all ages.
Tools & Materials:
- Two or three medium-sized potatoes, scrubbed clean
- A very sharp paring knife
- Poster paint in festive colors
- Construction paper or other sturdy paper that can stand up to the paint
- We recommend carving the potato stamps while the kids aren't around, to lessen the possibilities for injury. Slice each potato in half, then use the tip of the knife to trace the outline of your desired shape in each half. Gently start to cut away the "negative" parts of the design, leaving your stamp design raised between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.
- Fill small, shallow containers with paint. Let kids dip the potato stamps in the paint and press gently onto the paper.