Boo-tiful Paper Lanterns
Add spooky style to your Halloween party with these homemade paper lanterns. All you need is some basic supplies and a bit of imagination. Kids can help out by decorating paper with ghost or pumpkin faces.
Tools & Materials:
- Paper (Go online to find an image of a ghost face, then print that onto a piece of paper. Or better yet, have kids draw their own!)
- Glue, glitter, sequins, if desired to decorate your lantern
- Turn your paper over so that the ghost image is facing down. Use the blank side of your paper to do all of your measuring and marking so pencil lines won't be visible when you're finished.
- Measure and cut one inch off the long end of your paper. This will become your handle.
- Fold your paper in half lengthwise and draw a line one-inch wide along the long side of your paper (opposite the folded edge). This line marks the spot where you'll stop cutting.
- Starting at the folded edge, measure and mark lines one inch apart moving towards the "stop cutting" line.
- Cut along each line, starting from the folded edge and being sure to end at the "stop cutting" line.
- Unfold the paper.
- Re-fold the paper in the opposite direction (so that the decorated side is visible).
- Match the long edges together on the lantern and use tape to hold it in place.
- Staple the handle to the top of the lantern.
- Make as many lanterns as you wish and hang them around your home for a festive Halloween celebration!