Take Away Taco Salad
Even kids not usually keen on salad tend to like this one. Perhaps it's the crumbled tortilla chips. Packaging the dressing in a separate container keeps the veggies crunchy and allows kids to dress their own salad at lunchtime, which makes them feel pretty grown-up.
Everything that's great about a taco shows up in this salad, with a dose of fresh veggies for good measure.”
- 2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup cooked black beans
- 2/3 cup diced raw vegetables (carrot, cucumber, red pepper, tomato)
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 8 tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon favorite taco sauce or salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
Mix together the lettuce, beans, vegetables, cheese and chicken in a medium bowl. Break the chips into pieces and add them to the salad.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salsa and honey.
For school lunches, pack the salad and the dressing in separate, tightly sealed containers.