Mini Golden Cupcakes
No tea party would be complete without a batch of delicate, delectable cupcakes. We made these extra magical by decorating with glittery turbinado sugar and pearlescent candy sticks.
Ingredients: For the Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp (¾ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
Ingredients: For the Frosting
- 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 sticks of butter
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, and using an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (approx. 2 to 3 minutes). Reduce the speed to low and add the egg and egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions, beating until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat just until no traces of flour remain, usually about 30 seconds. Do not overbeat.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake until the cupcakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, usually about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cupcakes to the rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Combine sugar, butter, 4 tbsp milk, vanilla and salt. Mix with an electric mixer until combined.
- Scrape down the sides and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- If frosting is dry, add more milk.
- Use a piping bag with a round tip to apply icing.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Break up candy sticks and top cupcakes with pieces.