Elephant Sugar Cookies
Here's a delicious sugar cookie recipe that includes directions on how to get a perfectly shaped cookie every time!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened for 20 minutes at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and pale (about 5 minutes). Beat in eggs.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla and lemon extract; blend.
- Remove half of dough from bowl. Place on a lined cookie sheet or board lined with parchment paper. Roll out until you have a thin layer of dough about 1/4-inch thick. Use a little extra flour on top of the dough to keep it from sticking to the roller. Repeat this step with the remaining dough.
- Remove one cookie sheet with chilled dough. Using the cookie cutter of your choice, cut out shapes of dough and put them on a new cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Once you've filled the cookie sheet with cookie cutouts, place back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking.
- Repeat above steps for additional chilled dough until you've cut out all of your cookies.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Bake 12-14 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Let cookies cool before decorating.
- Keeping your dough chilled is the KEY to making perfectly shaped sugar cookies. Don't skip this step!