An update to a classic Halloween treat, these colorful candy apples will delight kids and adults while they brighten your treat table. With adult supervision, kids can dip and decorate the apples for a combined party activity and snack.
- 6 medium apples
- Sturdy sticks or popsicle sticks
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Food coloring (optional; we chose purple)
- Candy thermometer
- Parchment paper
- Wash and dry the apples. Insert a stick into the top of each one.
- In a medium saucepan, combine corn syrup, sugar, water and food coloring over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to medium-high. Using a candy thermometer, boil untilntemperature reaches between 300 and 310 degrees.
- Remove the mixture from heat and quickly dip the apples in the sugar mixture, coating them completely (this should be under adult supervision). Place the candy-dipped apples on a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper. Before the coating has set, kids can apply sprinkles so they stick.
- Allow the apples to cool completely before serving.
- To make candy apples easier to eat for small kids, it's a great idea to slice them into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Serves 6.