Garden Flower Piñata
Hung above the party table or from a tree branch, this handmade flower pinata adds a touch of splendor to any fairy gathering. Filled with small candies, this easy-to-make decoration quickly becomes the center of the party.
Tools and Materials
- White Glue
- Crepe Paper
- Craft Scissors
- White Paint
How to make The Piñata
- Inflate a large balloon and cover it with strips of newspaper (aprox. 1.5½ wide and 8½long) using wallpaper paste or a mixture of white glue and water. Leave a small opening around the balloon tie uncovered. Create a couple of layers of newspaper and then let it dry fully overnight. Once it's fully dried, deflate and remove the balloon. Paint the papier maché white.
- Cut a 3½ square flap at the bottom of the base with a serrated knife. Then cut several 36½ long ribbons. Hole punch two holes in the flap and thread one ribbon through the flap and tie it in a knot. Fill the pinata with lightweight candy – do not overfill. Close the flap using packing tape and then cover the flap area with a piece of crepe paper. Attach the rest of the ribbons using lightweight tape.
- Using crepe paper, cut out 5½ wide petals. Apply a thin ring of glue about 3½ from the opening at the top. Attach each petal one at a time going all the way around the ring. Create a new ring 2½ below and repeat all the way down the base.
- Poke four holes around the top opening and then thread twine through all four then knot. Tape down the knot and holes to reinforce. Then tie a piece of twine to the two loops of twine and again reinforce with several pieces of tape.
- Cut leaves using stiff green crepe paper in 3 sizes: small, medium and large. Crease the center of each leaf and then begin to apply them (starting with the largest first) near the twine with a glue gun. Repeat with all the leaves, layering first the large, then medium and then small leaves, covering the opening and the tape.
- Optional: For a more finished look, wrap a strip of the green crepe paper around the twine with some quick drying glue.
Download Garden Flower Piñata