Before choosing furniture for your child's bedroom or a family area, consider the windows, closets, heating vents and electrical outlets in the room. Does a door open into the space? What about lighting — will you use table lamps, or would floor lamps work better? Next, measure the perimeter of the room and draw a simple floor plan to plot your furniture placement.
In addition to each room's standard furnishings, you'll want to plan for other items such as armoires, seating and accent tables. Don't forget the details. A bench at the end of the bed or extra storage can make a difference in any room.
Once you've selected your new furniture, it is important to be sure that it can be delivered through all entryways, elevators and stairways. Follow these three simple steps to help ensure an efficient delivery:
- Measure the height and width of your entryway, including elevator doors and interiors.
- Use the furniture measurements to determine whether the piece can go straight through the entryway or must be brought in at an angle or on end.
- Make sure that there is a clear and unobstructed path in front of and beyond each doorway. Make note of any fixtures, decorative moldings, interior walls, ceiling heights, stairwells and banisters that may pose an obstacle once furniture is inside.
- The back height or depth of the piece is less than the width of each doorway, entryway, hallway or staircase.
- All pathways, stairwells and hallways – including any turns – are unobstructed or wide enough for the piece.
- The depth of the piece is less than the width of the doorway, and the amount of unobstructed clearance for all doorways, stairways and hallways is adequate to allow for the piece to clear.
- There are obstructions on either side of the doorways that prevent it from being brought straight in.
- The width of the piece will clear the height of the doorway when the piece is on end.
- The diagonal depth will clear the width of the doorway.
- Once inside, the piece will clear all widths and ceiling heights of all hallways and stairways including turns.
If you need further assistance or have specific questions, please contact our furniture specialists anytime
5:00 am – 9:00 pm PST, seven days a week, at 800.993.4923.