Vanilla Cupcakes with Hearts
Even Cupid would fall in love with these classic vanilla cupcakes topped with buttercream frosting. If you're short on time, order plain cupcakes from your local bakery – either way, kids will have a great time decorating their own special treat.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pink grapefruit gummy candy, triangle-shaped
- Pink and red mini hearts or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with foil or paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter on medium-high until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low and add egg and egg white, one at a time; beat in vanilla.
- Alternate adding 1/3 flour mixture with 1/2 of milk until both are all in. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Increase speed to medium-high until flour is fully incorporated (about 30 seconds). Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake until light golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (18-20 minutes).
- Allow pan to cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to wire rack; let cool for an hour.
- Make sure all ingredients are room temperature. Using an electric mixer, blend all ingredients on low speed until combined (about 1 minute). Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat on medium speed until fluffy (about 3 minutes). If frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes using pastry bag fitted with a large-star piping tip.
- Sprinkle cupcakes with mini hearts or sprinkles.
- Slightly cut into the top of each grapefruit triangle to create a heart shape. (If you can't find triangle-shaped grapefruit candy, use strawberries – simply slice them from top to bottom to create a heart shape). Place atop each cupcake.