Paper Fortune Cookies
These iconic Chinese designs are a great way to add color and pattern to a Lunar New Year Celebration. Grouped together at the center of a party table or one to a place setting, they add artful fun and fortune.
How To Create The Fortune Cookies
1. Cut white paper into small strips (approximately 1/2 inch by 3 inch). Write holiday greetings or fortunes on the paper using a pen.
2. Trace circles with a pencil on the back of the decorative paper using a circle cutter or a pot lid; circles should be 5 inches in diameter. Carefully cut out the circles using a circle cutter or X-acto knife.
3. Fold your circle in half making a crease in the paper with the pattern side facing inward. Next open the circle again. Begin to fold the circle (pattern side out) perpendicular to the first fold. The two creased edges should meet this time. DO NOT CREASE the edge this time.
4. Instead, hold the two creased edges together between your thumb and index finger. Place a "fortune" inside the half circle. With the other hand, push the center crease of the folded side of half the circle toward the hand that's pinching the ends together.
5. Pull the ends of the fortune cookie together and secure with double-sided tape.