3 Easy Summer Crafts
When you and your kids are taking a break from the beach, the summer months are a great time to relax and have fun with some simple craft projects. These three classics may bring back memories from your own childhood – of summer camp, leisurely afternoons on the porch or sleepover activities with good friends. Kids still love to do them, and they'll hang on to what they've made as special keepsakes for years.
- Several large, smooth rocks
- Acrylic paint in a variety of colors
- Brushes in several sizes
- Varnish in a variety of colors
1. Make sure your rocks are clean and thoroughly dry before you begin.
2. Let your kids paint them however they please. Encourage them to do simple, pretty patterns (such as stripes or polka dots) or to try their hand at painting their rocks to look like favorite animals or anything else that appeals to them.
3. After the paint has dried completely, apply a coat of varnish to give them a light shine and to help prevent chipping.
4. Let the varnish dry completely before using the rocks as paperweights, to create a pretty display, or any other way your child wants to.